Hello there! I’m Erica and welcome to my little corner of the internet. This is where I share some of my adventures as I DIY my way through life. Here on my blog you’ll find DIY projects, lots of painted furniture makeovers, easy and healthy(ish) recipes, and some other tidbits about my life, and my home.
A few random tidbits about me (in no particular order)…
1. I’m married to this babe. We got married this past fall after dating for seven years (seven years!). You can read more about him below if you’d like.
2. We bought our first house almost two years ago after living in several apartments in several cities over the years. It’s a little city bungalow built in 1939, and while it wasn’t really a “fixer upper” per se, we’ve put in a lot of blood, sweat, and even tears (his blood, my tears), to make it our own.
3. We have a Goldendoodle named Daenerys Stormborn of the House De Sousa (First of Her Name), but she usually just goes by Dani for short.
4. I have a master’s degree in French and currently work in finance (Nope. Can’t really explain that). I do speak French, but at this point it’s been so long that if I tried to actually have a conversation with someone it’d be pretty embarrassing. This makes me incredibly sad and now that I say that I realize I should probably do something about it!
5. Family is incredibly important to me. I live three hours from my close family, but get home to see them pretty often. My mom and sister are my best friends. I grew up living right next door to my grandparents, with my aunt and uncle just down the road. I have four younger siblings who are the most awesome people you’ll ever meet (I mean, I think so anyway). My youngest sister is 21 years younger than me and she’s the coolest kid ever. She’s also pretty talented – she took that photo of me up there. Not bad for a seven-year-old, right? Here are my siblings (minus the youngest) and cousins on my wedding day.
6. I love pirates. Maybe it’s because I grew up on the water, maybe it’s because I long for the freedom of roaming the seas with the wind in my face, or maybe it’s just because of my giant crush on Captain Jack Sparrow. Or my love of rum. Or my fascination with the history of the real-life pirates of the Caribbean. Whatever it is, I often daydream about selling all of my possessions and moving to the Caribbean to live on the beach. I’m only joking a little bit.
7. I love writing. I’ve had a blog for many years but have always had an on-again, 0ff-again relationship with it. This past winter I committed to keeping this blog alive and well. Blogging is a much-needed creative outlet for me, and gets me through hard times by giving me a place to focus my energy. In the future I’d like to work on sharing more “real life” stuff because we all have a tendency to only share the positive on social media (understandably so) but the truth is, real life is hard sometimes. Working on DIY projects and sharing them here on my blog is kind of therapeutic. Creating something with my hands (whether it’s painting or typing!) gives me a way to focus my thoughts.
My other half…
Justin and I met during college and dated for seven years before we finally got married this past fall. Even though it seemingly took a lot of convincing, I think we knew pretty early on that we’d end up together. I guess we just wanted to be extra sure, and we certainly gave ourselves plenty of opportunity to find out. We moved in together after college and moved five times before buying our house and moving in. We also threw a dog into the mix! So after all of that, it was just a matter of time before we got married. 🙂
Here are a few pictures from our wedding, because can I really not share them?
I don’t want to get all sappy, but I’m going to, so brace yourselves. He is my biggest fan and encourager. He is actually the one who told me I needed to start blogging again (and I’m so glad I listened)! He supports me in everything I do, even when I’m being ridiculous. He is often the voice of reason during my fits of stress. And vice versa. Our marriage is a partnership, and we each hold each other up when the other needs it. Marrying your best friend is pretty cool, guys.
Thank you so much for being here! Feel free to click around and explore, leave a comment or send me an email at email@example.com. I’d love to hear from you!